HaloSource

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The one-stop shop for all of your Halo needs

4 posters

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*

Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Empty Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*

Post  Devil Mingy Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:12 pm

Hello Friends, and welcome to “That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard”, a segment I've been brainstorming on for a while now. Here, I will present answers to some of Halo's more esoteric questions. I hope you enjoy what is sure to be a unique learning experience.

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Scienc10

If you have a Halo question that my story topic could not answer, you may present it here. Also, while I normally stick to questions related to Halo's single player and story, I will accept multiplayer questions here.

Last edited by Devil Mingy on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Empty Re: Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*

Post  Devil Mingy Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:23 pm

QUESTION 1: How does Brute Power Armor work?

I will begin with a simpler question that I heard a lot around the release of Halo 3: ODST.

Throughout all of the Halo series, Brutes have been seen in a wide variety of armor.

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Manybr10

On the whole, Brutes are killed the same way: shoot until their armor falls off and then aim for the head. The amount of shots required to take out the armor is dependent on the Brute and game. On other studies, the amount of damage it takes to achieve this is commonly represented by the variable "Pewpew", commonly measured in DMRs or even more commonly BRs.

Different armor, perhaps? Not at all, in fact. Similar to the Elites, the Brute Power armor remains the same (albeit more stylized in certain places than others) with varying degrees of strength.

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Brutes10

How does this armor somehow gain more strength? As the picture warned, it is because of science.

The Answer: Brute Armor is energized.

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Brutea10

As the illustration shows, Brute armor consists of two layers of ceramic armor with an energy current running through it. As the armor takes shots, the energy current dissipates impact and actually hardens the material further. With a higher current, this allows Brute Power Armor to potentially be more durable than any Energy Shielding.

For the more analogous of us, this can be represented by comparing Jiralhanae Power Armor to cake and Regenerating Shields to pie. While certain pies may be better than certain cakes, the best cake will always be better than the best pie, shown through this equation:

Pie = 3.1416 * 2.7182 = 8.5395

Cake = 7 +/- 2

If you were expecting a Portal joke, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Long story short, Brute Power Armor is more durable than Elite Energy Shielding. However...

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Brutea11

If enough damage is done (or the energy current is disrupted), the super-hard ceramic breaks under the beating. Unlike Energy Shielding, the Power Armor falls apart and is busted.

Now, Mingy, you ask, Contact Harvest says that this armor is plasma powered, which fits with the theory, but the Halo 2 and Halo: Reach Brutes do not have Power Armor. What gives?

The answer is that they do have Power Armor. However, much like the shields on a Stealth Elite, their armor is so pitifully charged that it is hardly noticeable.

So, Mingy, you ask again, since this topic would otherwise be over, what determines the charge on Brute Armor? The answer, of course, is the beard.

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Windmi10

Yes, the beard. However, it is not quantity of beard so much as quality. Allow the chart below to explain.

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Beardp10

As you can see, there is a very particular beard length where the charge is optimal. While no beard at all presents a weaker armor, a long beard is also unacceptable. The Reach Chieftains even had to resort to using regenerating Energy shields to cover up their shame (and the Chieftain of Halo Wars just ignores bullets by being hardcore).

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Nobear10Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Longbe10

This also allowed the Elites to keep the Brutes well under control prior to Schism simply by enforcing a particular limit on facial hair.

However, the Prophet of Truth knew the secret of Jiralhanae technology. He ensured that his loyal Brutes were well outfitted. Tartarus' beard was so perfect, in fact, that it granted him near immunity even without wearing much physical armor.

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Goodbe10

Tragically, Sergeant Johnson knew of his weakness to Particle Beams, which were coincidentally used to power Jiralhanae barbershops prior to the Brutes' induction into the Covenant in 2492. Particle Beams coming into contact with his beard disrupted the shielding, the effect growing worse every three hits as the Particle Beams slowly trimmed Tartarus' beard.

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Nothin10

Well, that's it for now. I hope this lesson was informative and entertaining. tune in next time for more "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard"
    Thanos of Halo
    Thanos of Halo

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Empty Re: Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*

Post  Thanos of Halo Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:14 pm

Most humorous.
    DarkReign2021
    DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:19 am

lol. I love it. I always suspected those Beards were up to no good. Curse them. They're a threat to Moustaches everywhere!
    Launch
    Launch

Post  Launch Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:27 am

I love things like this, can't wait to see more.
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Wed May 18, 2011 10:43 pm

What happened to Skirmishers?

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Skirmi10

Post Reach, the species was practically wiped out by the Covenant's (and Bungie's) insistence to put so many of them on the front lines, leaving most of the Skirmisher population on Eayn breeding like rabbits to recuperate losses. However, what about before the fall of Reach? Why weren't they fighting with the Jackals and the rest of the Covenant before hand?

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Skirmi11

Well, documentation says that Skirmishers did fight within Jackal units in the first years of the Harvest campaign. However, they eventually decided to desegregate the units, presumably so the Skirmishers stopped sticking out like sore thumbs.

A simple retcon, you ask? Of course not, foolish people. It's never that simple. But first, I must educate you on the origins of the Skirmisher subspecies

You see, Kig-yar culture is a culture of devious piracy and dastardly deeds. Even after their induction into the Covenant, they fought more as mercenaries than crusaders of the Covenant faith, exploiting the Convenant's expansion and conquest for its looting opportunities.

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Piracy10

As time went on, the Kig-yar began a eugenics experiment to create the ultimate Super-Pirate ™. This experiment lead to Subspecies 37, known as Skirmishers.

They were around in several battlefields during the war looting the place. However, because of their superspeed, you simply couldn't see them.

Reach's heavier gravity (as subtle of a change as it is) makes them move slower, forcing them to pick up guns and fight. Unfortunately, that also proved disastrous for the Skirmishers as a whole, whose numbers dwindled during the campaign to the point that they were of no further use in the last days of the war.

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Skirmi12

And I can prove it, too.

Below is a picture of a Covenant Citadel Base during the Harvest Campaign. This is after the Kig-yar units were desegregated and Skirmishers were assigned to their regular duty of transferring supplies and loot to orbit.

Devil Mingy's "That's the Dumbest Shit I've Ever Heard" *Warning, lots of images*  Skirmi13

Now you know

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:15 pm