HaloSource

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The one-stop shop for all of your Halo needs

3 posters

Halo Reach review *Spoilers*

Matrix
    Matrix

Halo Reach review *Spoilers* Empty Halo Reach review *Spoilers*

Post  Matrix Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:16 pm

First I would like to say some things: First Reign thank you for making (or remaking) this amazing site, second if this is the wrong place please move it or ask me to move it I figured I would post it here because no one else has posted a review yet, and finally, I may be slightly biased, I have been a Halo fanboy since I was 8 I'm now 16. it all started with the first level of Halo: CE at my friends house and from then I've been hooked. i have every Halo game and book minus the Halo 2 LE i was 10 at the time and my dad bought it for me and I haven't read the comic books, I'm not a big fan of comic books. And now we may begin.

Graphics:

The graphics are pretty good. There are games out there (such as Killzone 2) that have better but the faces look amazing and the environments are top notch (characteristic of Bungie). The environments are darker the landscapes are vast and the colors are somewhat dull. The dull fits perfectly showing the war you can't win (for now) and the hopelessness of the situation.

Overall I give graphics a 9/10

Sound:

Has the Halo sound ever been bad? Once again Marty and Jay deliver. The music is astonishing every piece fits its part perfectly. There isn't a single piece of music that is even slightly out of place. The gameplay sound is great the and the subtle thing make it even better. If a grenade goes off near you you can actually hear the ringing in your ears from the explosion and after you swing the energy sword you can hear the echo of the clang. The voice acting is great, every character has their own personality and accent. Even without seeing them I can tell who's talking because of the difference in vices, tones, the way that they speak and their accent.

Overall I give sound a 10/10

Story:

The Halo story, even going into this game I knew the end, Noble team dies and Reach is glassed. Still Bungie managed to make the story gripping, you constantly have that sense that everything you do is for no reason but you must do it to save humanity (except for the end but I don't want to put too many spoilers in :p) The story is gripping everytime a character died I felt bad I got attached to the characters (except for Kat she's a bitch). Even knowing the end I love the story and everything about it. There are also countless easter eggs, from secret switches to the data pads and finally the BoBs (more about them in mingy's topic)

Overall I give the story a 10/10

Multiplayer:

Ahh multiplayer. I know most of you don't play it but I do so I'm adding it in anyway. The reason many people buy Halo in the first place. I am a veteran of over 6000 halo 3 matches and countless splits opeen matches in CE and 2. The multiplayer has been completely revamped. Most guns have been tweaked slightly or removed and there are a decent amount 0f new weapons also. Overall i preferred Halo 3's multiplayer but Reaches is still good. There are 4 new weapons I believe: the grenade launcher which is completely new to the Halo series, the concussion rifle which takes the place of the brute shot, the plasma repeater which is like a plasma version of the assault rifle, and the plasma launcher, the covenant version of the grenade launcher that shoots plasma grenades that home in on the target. But enough about weapons onto the maps. The maps are easily the worst part of multiplayer, none are atrocious (except paradiso) and there are 4 remakes out of the 13 total maps. The two new maps that stand out to me are countdown and powerhouse other then that the only good maps are the remakes (except for reflection which is decent at best). But let me wrap this up now I'm just rambling. The gameplay is good but the maps can use some work definitely try it out though its not bad as a whole.

Overall I give multiplayer a 8/10

Gameplay;

The gameplay is as good as any Halo, with the addition of visible bloom, decrease of jump height and speed, this has the same core gameplay with just enough changes to make it seem fresh. The A. I. in campaign is top notch its not overpowering so that you are constantly getting frustrated but hard enough to give a good challenge to even the most experienced Halo veteran. Everything else i can say about this I also put in the multiplayer section so if you haven't read that yet please read it (thats why its above this one).

Overall gameplay gets a 10/10

Overall this brings a great new addition to the halo franchise and is a worthy exit for the always amazing Bungie from this franchise.

Overall I give Halo: Reach a 9.5

I averaged all of the scores together and rounded to the nearest half.

Thanks to everyone for reading.
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Halo Reach review *Spoilers* Empty Re: Halo Reach review *Spoilers*

Post  Devil Mingy Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:30 pm

A good review from the perspective of a Halo fan.
    Matrix
    Matrix

Post  Matrix Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:17 pm

I was trying to be at least a little unbiased but like I said I've been playing Halo for half of my life. But thanks.
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:44 pm

A little bias is to be expected. We're Halo fanatics, after all.
    Matrix
    Matrix

Post  Matrix Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:27 am

I wrote this in about 30 minutes yesterday when I got home from school because I remember reign or someone else said they would do one when reach came out and they never did so I figured I would. I was thinking about submitting theis to gamefaqs, think they would accept it?
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:48 pm

To be honest, I don't think there's a hell of a lot that GameFAQS won't accept these days. >_>

Reign has been a bit busy lately. He should be back to normalcy shortly. Until then, I'm going to screw around in Reach and write about Truth.
    Matrix
    Matrix

Post  Matrix Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Do you know what hPpned to him? Also I'm going o submit this later. It's worth a shot.
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:38 pm

No idea.

How is GameFAQS, anyway? Still the usual mess?
    Matrix
    Matrix

Post  Matrix Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:48 pm

bad as always i've given up on posting half of the topics are still casual v. elitist/BR should be added(what are they stupid?) or a question that cam easilyu be found with the search bar. I look through the topics but almost never post.
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:18 pm

Can't say that I'm too surprised. Bitching over DLC prices will probably only worsen the problem. It pays to have some sanctuaries in a situation such as this.
    Matrix
    Matrix

Post  Matrix Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:09 pm

Yeah if reign didn't make this site i don't know what i would do.
    DarkReign2021
    DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:14 pm

I'm still alive and kickin'. Just fighting some financial and marital issues, but otherwise I'm still around. I did a little bit of work with the level analysis articles as you may have noticed and I've started deleting dead topics, combining similar topics, etc... I'm working on some ideas for a new appearance and I'm going to try and scale back on the number of boards and categories we have here so that our activity will be more focused and center of attention for the whole community. (I figure we don't need games, music, & books all in separate boards, so I'm just going to combine into an Entertainment board. Same with the multiple Halo boards. Can probably drop the achievements, forge, and Firefight board and combine them all into one big board since they all get so little activity alone.)

I was hoping to have it all done up Sunday, but I shorthanded myself on time, so I only got a little bit of the work done (and accidentally got myself hooked on Fallout 3 and Assassin's Creed 2. lol) but I'm getting it fixed up slowly.

On top of that, I'm also in the process of setting up a blog that I intend to use for all of my game reviews and bringing any strange or worthwhile game-related news to light. I'm building my Halo: Reach review and a couple other recent titles now, so I'll post the link in the next couple of days when I get it posted. I'm also

tossing around the idea of maybe putting together a Facebook page for Halo Source so we can advertise more over there (especially since the Waypoint page has a huge number of followers.) Not so sure I want to keep up with it since I hate Facebook's setup, but it might be something to consider in the future.
    Matrix
    Matrix

Post  Matrix Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:30 pm

I'll set up the facebook page if you want. also i was thinking about writing a review for new vegas when it comes out.

Also good luck about your issues.
    DarkReign2021
    DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:42 pm

Yeah. Could probably do that. I'm still trying to weigh the positive and negative benefits of having one though. I'll wait and see for the moment. I'm more concerned with fixing up the site and getting things back in order.
    Matrix
    Matrix

Post  Matrix Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:54 pm

Also I just submitted this to gamefaqs, lets see if they accept it. If you want me to start the facebook page give me a heads up I'll be more than glad to do it like I said.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:58 am