HaloSource

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The one-stop shop for all of your Halo needs

4 posters

LASO Challenge

Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

LASO Challenge - Page 2 Empty Re: LASO Challenge

Post  Devil Mingy Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Well, another Monday and another weekly LASO. Long Night of Solace was... not as bad as I thought. I tackled it solo; it was much less frustrating than the co-op trial run.
    Launch
    Launch

Post  Launch Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:37 am

I finally did LNoS yesterday, and it was the first one I've done co-op. Me and my friend did pretty well, it was actually fun. I assassinated so many Elites during it, probably more than I killed with a gun. The best moment was sneaking onto the bridge, assassinating 2 Sword Elites, and sprinting out. It was unbelievably lucky and epic. The Pelican made the end fight easy, though I still assassinated more Ultras to speed it up.

Last edited by Launch on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Exodus LASO in 7 days imminent. The beginning might be a bit tricky due to severe lack of ammo, but the rest of the level shouldn't be too difficult with some fancy jetpacking.
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 am

LASO time for Exodus. Darkreign will probably have a write-up when we attempt this.
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:02 pm

Well, it's done. Here are my experiences (I really can't help but think that I should get screencaps for these writeups).

While Darkreign and I await our co-op LASO run on Thursday, I decided to try it out solo because, hell, it can't be worse than Long Night. All in all, despite taking 2 hours, it was a simple level and I actually enjoyed playing it. Unlike Elites, the Brutes do not become insultingly powerful with the tilt and mythic skulls on. They're tough and nigh impossible to kill if you don't aim for the head, but that goes for vanilla Legendary as well. With my latest Noble Six (now decked out in white and blue Security to resemble the old Security Guard), I tackled Exodus on SLASO.

Going into this level, I dreaded the beginning. There were going to be a lot of enemies, lack of precious ammo, and a lot of blind corners where enemies can ambush. I got off to a great start: wasting an entire clip of pistol ammo on Skirmishers and not killing a single one. I managed to get up to 28 shots while the Skirmishers retreated and the suicide Grunts began to run towards me. Not wanting to waste more good ammo, I grabbed a plasma pistol and peppered the suicide Grunts, letting the ones that I didn't kill waste their lives against my armor lock. The second encounter with the trio of Skirmishers went much better. Finally, I got to the Brutes. While they were distracted with civilians, I managed to take out the first few with some well aimed magnum shots. As the others became aware of me, I retreated towards the back. As they followed, I began firing the Needler in bursts, sending a few more Brutes up in an emasculating, pink mist. Unfortunately, I ran out before I could kill the last one. Thankfully, he paused to roar at me, allowing me stick him in the thigh with a plasma grenade.

Knowing what was coming, I quickly threw a couple of frag grenades and traded by empty magnum for a Spike Rifle. The lovely, nigh recoiless nail gun from hell served me well against the Skirmishers and lone Brute, even allowing me a quick melee for a shield recharge. However, I knew that the true terror of the level was up ahead. I was just getting started.

Steeling myself for the trials ahead, I stocked up on Needler ammo and stalked up the stairs from the door. I finished off the Ultra Grunts with my Spiker before letting it go for a DMR. To my left was a lone civilian woman, terrified eyes hidden behind some sunglasses. She cowered by me as I made the 21 shots of DMR ammo count. Despite my armor locking skills at their best, the Grunts did manage to take out my shields. It was pretty damn close for a while. However, eventually, the last Grunt fell. The Brutes, realizing that I wasn't going to make myself an easy target, decided to after me two by two. Fully prepared with a Needler and Plasma grenades, I took care of the chargers. Their Captain, clad in gold and watching from above, held his last two Brutes back by a trio of Jackals. From their vantage point at the elevator, they watched my every move. Unbeknownst to me at the time, a lone civilian was up above, hiding amongst the carnage and thus far undetected by the Covenant. I didn't know this at the time, but my Noble Six owes this man.

I retreated back outside and grabbed Sprint and the Sniper Rifle and its precious six shots. ONI SWORD Base and Nightfall didn't allow me to appreciate the weapon due to the Elites' insanely resilient shielding. The Brute Captain, clearly not watching me close enough, was thrown over the balcony as his head exploded. The death of their Captain sent the two remaining Brutes running down the stairs and right into two more bullets. The remaining three shots went into three very inattentive Jackals.

With the first wave of this gauntlet done, I breathed a sigh of relief, swapped out my Sniper Rifle for a full DMR (first time I've had one on LASO) and walked up the stairs to the elevator. It was then that I noticed the civilian man hiding by a health pack that I graciously used. I was amazed to see him apparently eluding Covenant forces, but didn't pay him much attention. Unfortunately, I had no faith that he'd survive the next time. I went to the rack of Needlers and stocked up on ammo and then activated the elevator. Three more Army Troopers ran out of the right door as Sergeant Stacker informed me that the elevator would be taking a while to get to my floor. I left the Troopers and the civilian man to their fate as I rushed downstairs to greet the first, and more manageable group. I forlornly glanced over at my female companion. She was where I left her: cowering by the wall where the first DMR was found. With the fight ahead, it was likely to be the last I would see of her.

I raced down the stairs and gripped my DMR tight as the Horseshoe-shaped dropship opened its doors. Three Skirmishers and three Brutes, one a Captain with a Gravity Hammer, rushed out. I chucked two Frag Grenades as they landed, sending them into disarray. I followed it up with three shots to the Skirmishers, each one fatal. With some definite luck, the concussive power of the grenades also took the headgear off the minor Brutes, allowing me to take them out well before they made it inside. Absolutely pissed, the Captain raised his hammer and began to charge, his stance reminding me of a bull charging. Five needles impacted into his armor, erupting him into a pink mist. The explosion stunned him and stopped him in his tracks, letting me repeat the process. The Captain didn't survive the second supercombine. With the first group dead, I ran up the stairs to deal with the others.

The Troopers were well dead by the time I made it upstairs. The second Captain, hammer ready, saw me and abandoned his target (the petrified female civilian). This Captain was a bit smarter, locking his armor as I fired the Needler. However, without pulsing Armor Lock, the Captain failed to stop the second and third barrages, killing him. The other Brutes began to rush down the stairs as I needled them one by one. However, the battle did not leave me unscathed. My shields were down and my health was down to three red bars. A Trooper I could not see remarked, "Damn, Lt., I'm glad you're on our side". The final opponent, a Grunt Ultra, caught me by surprise as I took his helmet off with a DMR round. Its plasma pistol was charged, and it could have killed me if it wanted to. However, by some chance that I still do not understand, the Ultra Grunt turned to the hiding man by the elevator and shot at him instead. This allowed me to finish him with a headshot, finally triggering the elevator.

The civilian male was bleeding, but was still able to walk. I had never felt so relieved to survive a battle. This was the gauntlet that terrified me about this level, and I actually made it through without savescumming. Not wanting to tempt fate, I decided to save and quit at the next checkpoint and take a well earned breather. As I was stocking up on DMR ammo, I went back down the stairs and saw something amazing. The stealthy civilian at the elevator wasn't the only survivor. The female civilian, who I learned was named Marcia, was still alive. With the Covenant dead, she stood up, simply staring at my visor. If I'm not mistaken, I caught a small smile from her. For all the glory of killing Covenant and the salvation of the species, there is nothing more satisfying than a personal victory: saving a life that I never thought I'd be able to save.

With the area secure, I joined the nameless Trooper in the elevator, where Stacker informed me that the Covenant had cut off evacuation routes. A group of ODSTs were planning to secure the executive landing pad on Traxus Towers in order to evacuate the remaining civilians, but the plan is just too crazy to work.

How did that plan go? Well, I'll tell you about it in a while.
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:59 am

There's nothing quite like running on the trim of a building with a jetpack and a rocket launcher on your back. The ODSTs were truly a special kind of crazy for coming up with this plan. The Covenant had Traxus Towers and the surrounding areas well guarded... for some reason. Banshee squadrons would pass by to deter air support and Brute forces on ground kept the Troopers and Marines away from the landing pad. Yes, anybody who thought this plan would work was crazy. Fortunately, I had a crazy way to make it work.

Sneaking under Covenant patrols in the loading dock, I ran inside, was told that the entrance was on the other side, and then went the right way. Several more civilians cowered as a Spirit began fortifying the way up to the landing pad. Eliminating the immediate threat, a few Grunts and a Jackal Sniper, I grabbed some more rockets as the surviving ODSTs and Troopers were preparing to run head first into a death trap. Thankfully, I was able to convince them to hang back and let me try something. Using some quick jetpacking skills, I was able to scale the side of the building and jetpack over to the landing pad. The Covenant hadn't quite finished their fortifications and I was able to sneak right behind them. My hand slipped on the melee button as I came up behind a Brute Chieftain with a Fuel Rod Gun. Instead of a quick neck snap, I activated the seldom-seen assassination and repeatedly slashed his back with a knife before plunging it into his neck. Thankfully, I was able to fire off two rockets that took out the Grunt and Jackal support and retreated to the second floor before the other Brutes even knew what happened.

I hid as a Phantom dropped off reinforcements and a couple of Shade turrets. The turrets weren't built to last, exploding as soon as I took out the drivers. I used up my remaining two rockets on the Jackals and Grunts. Unfortunately, my grenades and DMR didn't last me. Before long, I was completely empty with a Hammer Captain and three minor Brutes still holding the landing pad. I retreated back down to where my ODSTs and Troopers remained and decided to try something ballsy. I ran forward to the Sniper Rifle and DMR, triggering a whole new wave of Covenant that I had to quickly outrun. The three bastards with Concussion Rifles nearly got me, but I escaped with my life. My allies, unfortunately, were not as lucky, choosing to sacrifice themselves so I could escape. I scaled the building top again and used the six Sniper shots to finish off the Brutes. With the pad clear, I jetpacked over to meet with the new wave of ODSTs and Troopers as two Falcons and a Pelican landed on the pad.

With no more use for the Sniper rifle, I handed it over to a Trooper. I hopped on the side turret of the Falcon as the civilians loaded onto the Pelican. I saw Marcia in the crowd again, but I don't think she saw me. I have no idea how she got this far, but nobody with that much luck deserves to die in a crash. I was going to make sure that Pelican and the subsequent evacuation shuttles made it off this forsaken planet.
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Sun May 01, 2011 12:38 pm

New Alexandria LASO imminent. On co-op, this level should be a breeze.
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Mon May 02, 2011 2:56 pm

16,000 cR for something that shouldn't take more than an hour if all the tricks go well... not too shabby.

This is likely the third easiest level in the game for this kind of challenge, possibly even the second. Nightfall and Winter Contingency were just as easy with a few tricks, but Winter Contingency did have a bit of tough combat at the end. NA doesn't even have that if you can banshee glitch the Hospital and run through Sinoviet and Club Errera.
    DarkReign2021
    DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 Tue May 03, 2011 1:03 am

New Alexandria is likely the easiest level in the game discounting the ability to stealth and glitch the entire level of Nightfall in 5 minutes.

Club Errera is just a matter of doing the DJ trick to eliminate all of the Hunters. Sinoviet I usually just take the Falcon inside the ground floor area to kill everything, followed by a simple run 'n' dodge with the buggers (might even be able to leave a co-op partner in the elevator. Activating the switch should teleport the first player inside with the second.)

It occurs to me, however, that my idea for skipping the elites after the jammer is deactivated by leaving somebody topside will not work. I forgot the Iron skull causes the game to revert. So poop on my game plan. Just have to think of something else I guess.
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Tue May 03, 2011 8:25 pm

^Depends on where the loading threshold is.
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Wed May 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Damn, I finally found this topic. This new layout takes some getting used to, to say the least.

Anyway, New Alexandria was little challenge. There was no ground fighting at all, making it relatively easy.

Now The Package... this will be an interesting challenge. On co-op, it shouldn't be too much trouble, just requiring patience to take out the large amount of overpowered enemies.
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Sat May 28, 2011 3:30 pm

The Package was interesting through the beginning because of a crippling lack of checkpoints. Once we were inside SWORD Base and into the Glacier fight, it was good fun.

Sadly, on Monday, the one I've been dreading will occur. I have managed to get through much of the level solo using some good skip. However, I just can't get the ammo to hold out on the final fight. I'm definitely going to need a partner or two.

I just hope the pay-off is worth it.
    DarkReign2021
    DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 Sun May 29, 2011 6:16 pm

This fight will definitely be the hardest thing I think any of us has ever done as a diehard member of Halo Nation. I'm dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time.
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Tue May 31, 2011 1:30 pm

I've got a plan, and if I can make it work, PoA shouldn't be any worse than the likes of LNoS or SWORD Base. In fact, if all goes according to plan, the only fights we'll even need to finish are the caves and the smelting plant... and a bit of Rally Point Bravo.

It does require a bit of grenade jumping, but so did all of the cool skips in Halo 2.
    Launch
    Launch

Post  Launch Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:15 am

I just did this in co-op last night. 3 hour and 25 minutes. The main parts we had trouble with were the start of Boneyard (my teammate got stuck at the start with 4 Elites so I had to get through the other side of the ship by myself up until he teleported), and pretty much all the areas after that. It was satisfying to complete, but I doubt I'll be doing it again.
    DarkReign2021
    DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Most of the level wasn't really that bad. We had a little trouble at the beginning when we got the mongoose because we were trying to just skip it (ended up taking out a handful of grunts in the end.) From there, we had some issues with the hunters, but we ended up actually skipping them by jumping through the window into the refinery. Devil grenade jumped up to the MAC turret and took out most of the phantoms for the Brute Waves and I only ended up fighting a hammer chieftain and a few standard brutes. Easy as pie. Than the final room... I took out all of the grunts and Devil got the engineer. I lucked out and managed to assassinate one of the Zealots (actually, I think I assassinated all of the elites that were killed in this run. That would be... 6 I believe (plus Emile somehow managed to kill one. I didn't even know and spent the whole time freaking out because I couldn't find the damn camo sword elite.) As for the remaining two Zealots and the Field Marshall, we ended up taking the glitch way around to the farside. Devil distracted the Field Marshall and after after a few dozen reverts, I managed to beat him to Death. Since I had shields left, I took the MAC turret, punched two rounds into the Covie carrier, and died just as the cutscene started. It counted and we got the challenge Very Happy

Now than. Why are there 4 Spartan Lasers around the MAC turret? I don't remember those being in single Player...
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:47 pm

It was quite the exciting time. However, once we had plans formulated, it went rather smoothly.

I still hate that damn Ultra Elite right before Rally Point Bravo, though.

To say nothing of the Field Marshall.

As for the 4 Splazers... well, there are four banshees on the Package without much use, either. With CEmake coming out in fall, maybe we'll get a few new Vidmaster Achievements.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am