HaloSource

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The one-stop shop for all of your Halo needs

2 posters

Bob's Big Date

Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Bob's Big Date Empty Bob's Big Date

Post  Devil Mingy Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:34 pm

Breathing a sigh of relief, you reload the magnum before jumping into the driver seat of the abandoned truck. Carter strides over to the passenger side while Jorge hops onto the back. High in the sky, Jun informs you of possible Covenant activity in the northeast. You arrive at a small housing with Unggoy and Kigyar. A Sangheili Officer yells an alien curse before retreating for cover against Jorge's machine gun. Suddenly, crossing the bridge in the distance, you see a golden Sangheili. However, he is not adorned in the typical Zealot armor, but concealed in the Sangheili's EVA suits, intended for Rangers. Despite the Concussion Rifle in its hands, the golden Ranger pays you no mind, crossing the bridge and running up the hills towards the fog. Jorge turns his attention to the new threat and opens fire until its shields flicker. As the Elite's shields overload, it delivers one roar before vanishing into thin air.

Bob's Big Date Screenshot

What you have seen is perfectly normal. This is Bob, an elusive Elite that can be found throughout the Halo: Reach campaign. They appear at set points on all four difficulties (though are not guaranteed to spawn on easy difficulty), though what exactly triggers their appearances is currently unknown. If you are hunting for Bob and he doesn't appear, do not fret. Simply save and quit out and then restart from the nearest rally point (you must override your save). Despite the story above, Bobs are not passive. They do attack. However, for the most part, Bobs seem less aggressive than other Elites.

Supposedly, there is one Bob in every level, and every level will spawn a BOB in one place every playthrough (though where it exactly appears is apparently randomized). While there are several BOB sightings for most levels, the locations where I have found them are below:

Winter Contingency- A BOB with a Plasma Repeater (Concussion rifle on Legendary) if you take the left path after the bridge on Rally Point Alpha. A second BOB can be found inside the housing where the first data pad is located. A final Bob spawn is located at the housing closest to the Communications relay. If you fight the Covenant at the first Bob spawn right after starting Rally Point Alpha, this is where the marines will be that Noble Team will defend.

ONI Sword Base- This oddball Bob will dual wield plasma rifles on the left side of Sword Base's entrance (right before the Hunters). Another is inside Sword Base by the second data pad.

Nightfall- Appears by the broken bridge at the beginning of the level (with the other Ranger/Spec Ops Elites with Focus Rifles). A second Bob appears behind the other Elites when you help the militia on Rally Point Alpha. A third appears above the Rocket Launcher in the Powerhouse area (with the Covenant stealth pylon).

Tip of the Spear- One with a Concussion Rifle appears on a cliff to the left after you get the Rocket hog. A second with a Fuel Rod Gun appears at the Spire assault (either in the middle, to the far left, or the far right) at Rally Point Bravo.

Long Night of Solace- A BOB is on the bridge of the Corvette, at the terminal you need to activate to dock with the Supercarrier. A second and third one have been spotted randomly appearing out of drop pods in the beginning of the level and in the hanger at the end of the level.

Exodus- An unmarked BOB in a Banshee will appear to the right of the evacuation building on Rally Point Bravo and boost below your Banshee before flying off screen.

New Alexandria- An unmarked Bob can be found in a constantly boosting Banshee near altitude 0. Don't bother seeking him out. Odds are he'll come looking for you. Just watch out for the blue streaks. While I've heard conflicting stories, he always appears for me within the first ten minutes.

The Package- He's hanging out with 3 Jackals to the left of Sword Base's entrance at Rally Point alpha. A second one can spawn in the last battle before Rally Point Bravo (With the Spec Ops Elites and Engineer). A third one spawns on the next to last wave of troops at Rally Point Bravo (by the back left Wraith tank).

Pillar of Autumn- A BOB will appear to the right side of Boneyard at the beginning of Rally Point Alpha (behind the Fuel Rod General). A second BOB with a Concussion Rifle will be in the right garage (where the Scorpion spawns on Boneyard in Invasion) at Rally Point Alpha

Lone Wolf- Spawns with a Sword, with a wave of Generals.

A common mistake that I have seen made is that the Spec Ops Elite that carries the 10th Data Pad on Winter Contingency is a BOB. He is not. BOBs, while elusive, are hardly stealthy. In fact, when they appear, they stick out. Of the ones seen so far (not counting the Banshee drones), they appear as gold colored Ranger Elites with one exception: ONI Sword Base's BOBs appear as white Elites of just about any variety, even appearing as a normal Ranger Elite from time to time. It is unknown why the ONI Sword base BOB is different, but my theory is that it's a simple goof on Bungie's part, similar to the glitched Zealot in Halo 2.

Bob's Big Date 5040360039_07783ae052_z

While the game's scoring statistics classify it as “Elite Light Vehicle”, Bungie.net refers to these elusive Sangheili as “Elite Ranger Bob” (with the simple description "Wipe Them Out"), complete with their own medal. It's also important to note that, at this moment, killing Bobs give no bonus other than points and this medal.

Bob's Big Date 5040815682_4b2e98db2f_b

To seek an answer, perhaps we should look back to Marathon, an older game by Bungie that featured a different type of BOBs. A Bungie.net moderator quoted this old gem from the mid 1990s in response to a Bob topic on their forums.

Bob's Big Date 5040815696_6a7e39a2a1

Unlike the current BOBs (and fairly similar to the Marines and Troopers), Marathon's BOBs primarily got in the way. While they were semi-useful in Marathon 2: Durandal, they were a liability. A “true player”, a Vidmaster, would ensure their own survival by leaving none of the BOBs alive (though by Marathon 2, they had taken to teleporting out of the level by themselves. Hmmmm...). Another part of the Vidmaster challenge involved punching switches as opposed to the use key. While Halo: Reach does not allow the melee attack to activate switches, it does have special switches.

Perhaps there is a Vidmaster surprise in store...

On the other hand, a less mystical answer could come from the Halo: Reach strategy guide, which displays the point values of different enemies. On page 384 of the Legendary Edition guide, it lists a character called “Daily Challenge Elite”, whose point values match that of the BOBs. Perhaps the BOBs will simply be an excuse for Daily Challenges? A little underwhelming perhaps, but it doesn't explain the teasing of the vidmaster oath. Perhaps both are right.

Last edited by Devil Mingy on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:52 pm; edited 13 times in total
    DarkReign2021
    DarkReign2021
    Admin

Bob's Big Date Empty Re: Bob's Big Date

Post  DarkReign2021 Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Sadly enough, game says I've killed 4 unique BoBs, but I still have no idea where any of them are. It was all accidental and I just haven't taken the time to look for them seriously. I haven't even played Reach a whole lot recently. Been busy finishing up some of the other games I own to try and raise my achievement percentage.

Nonetheless, this is a nice little write-up about them since I've noticed a lot of people are confused as to the existence of the BoBs still. I really like the Marathon clip image you pulled out. Adds a nice touch.
    Devil Mingy
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:52 am

Decided to make a few edits to explain a likely reason for the oddball BOB on Sword Base.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am